Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Title: Everneath
Author: Brodi Ashton
Pages: 370
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Released: January 24th
Publisher: Balzer + Bray/Harper Collins
Source: ARC from Publisher for honest review!  Thanks Heather/Harper!
Rating: 4.5 stars!





Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever. 
She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists. 
Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen. 
As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's... (from goodreads)







Considering I have seen retelling upon retelling of the Hades and Persephone myth this past year, I was not sure what to expect from Everneath, considering it is a retelling of Hades and Persephone/Orpheus and Eurydice.  I was a little curious too see how it would turn out, as I have a strange obsession with mythology and i wanted to see what Ms. Ashton did with Everneath.  The result was a beautiful and heartbreaking love story that I can't help but want to read again already.

I will admit, at first it took me a bit to get into Everneath.  The beginning sort of threw me off, as we get thrown right into the Feed and the Everneath without any real explanation.  Luckily, soon enough things get explained and things become a little clearer.  We meet Nikki, who has just returned from the Everneath to say goodbye to everyone she loves, as in six months the Tunnels (basically the gateway to Hell) will be coming to claim her.  Just the whole concept of the Everneath and the Tunnels was just crazy.  From the beginning, my heart ached for Nikki and everyone i knew she was going to leave behind.  The book was quite long, but it didn't take me long to read.  I finished Everneath in about three days.  I had to know what was going to happen, what horrible ting was going to happen next.  Also, I loved the fact that the story kind of jumped around from the present, while Nikki is home, waiting out her six months, and the times when she was in the Feed.  I think it really helped make the story clearer as the book progressed.

I absolutely loved the writing of Everneath.  With every page, I felt a little worse for Nikki.  I couldn't help but wonder what it would feel like to be in the same place as her, with only a little time left with my family.  At the same time, i don't think I would be able to be as strong as Nikki was.  She managed to handle the whole ordeal without ever becoming a whiny sad character.  She didn't make me feel depressed when reading, which sometimes can happen.  Luckily, Nikki didn't get all mopey.  I loved that Ms. Ashton managed to create a character like Nikki that i could feel for without all the depression that she could have filled Nikki with.  I loved the supporting characters too.  Jules seemed kind of distant at first, but i like that she eventually cam around for Nikki.  I also loved the fact that Nikki showed her brother that she cared for him throughout the book.  I don't often see sibling relationships in books and it was nice to see.  And Jack.  i didn't think i would like jack at first.  He seemed like he didn't care about Nikki anymore and he just came across in a way that made me expect him to be a character that wouldn't really gain my favor.  I was surprised to see that my opinion of him changed as he slowly let Nikki back into his life.  I loved how their love slowly grew again throughout the book.  This is one of the few occasions that I really felt the relationship between two characters.  And Cole.  Never before have I wanted to punch a character in the face so badly.  What a jerk he is!  Evil evil evil!

I couldn't help but wonder more about the Everneath with each passing chapter.  I love the concept of a world of immortals and all of the mythology that Brodi Ashton took and twisted into her own story.  I would love to see more of the actual world of the Everneath in the sequel, as it sounds kinda terrifying and intriguing.

As I said before, I wasn't sure how I would feel about this retelling, but I can honestly say it has set a pretty high bar for some of the other retellings of the myth that I plan on reading.  Brodi Ashton has made me fall in love with her story and writing, and with an ending like that, I demand the sequel NOW! :)  Seriously, the ending had me in tears!  i basically screamed at the book for the last few pages.  Overall, Everneath was definitely worth the read, and I recommend that you all read it!

Also, as a random note:  I do not understand why people consider this book to have a love triangle.  THERE IS NO TRIANGLE.  Just my opinion, but I just don't see it.  There is no way it is a love triangle.  Maybe in some bizarre convoluted way people might consider it a love triangle, but i just don't see it...

1 comment:

  1. Ah, there you go making me want to read this book even more! I have yet to get my hands on it, but I MUST BUY SOON.

    ReplyDelete